Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ronald Reagan's Birthday and a Field Trip



Robbie and I did something really intellectual last night (a sort of Bachelor protest, if you will - sorry Bachelor lovers). We attended a lecture given by Presidential historians Michael Bechloss and David Brinkley. Can I say, if I haven't already lost your interest, that it was a really thoughtful, and not too long, discussion of the legacy of the Presidents of the second half of the 20th century. It was, in my mind, super interesting. Of course, I've long professed my love for all things Presidential. Mr. Bechloss said, it takes about 40 years from the time a President leaves office for his legacy to really solidify but that a legacy is perhaps a very fluid thing, regardless. I won't attempt a recitation of all that I learned last night but trust me when I say it was super informative and left me even more curious about the 44 men who've served in the country's highest office.  

But, the real point of this post is that today is Ronald Wilson Reagan's 102nd birthday!  Now, I've written before about President Reagan. He was the first President I was old enough to cast a vote for (November 1983) and I had the good fortune to see him up close and personal in the White House Rose Garden (why yes, lucky me). But this year, while we were visiting California, our family made the trek to Simi Valley to visit the Reagan Library (the most visited of all of the Presidential libraries). A spectacular setting, an endearing childhood, Americana, an enormous time capsule of the 80s, Air Force One, it was all a treat.

The view from the library.  
The statue of President Reagan, rancher-style,  that welcomes visitors.
A portion of the Berlin Wall.
The burial site.  
I could probably wax on incessantly about this, but suffice it to say, if you have the opportunity to visit  a Presidential Library, regardless of the man's policies, politics or persona (though if you're an admirer, it will no doubt enhance your experience), it is totally worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment